Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

I had a hard time choosing my cake this month. I felt like I should bake the Apple Cake as our apple tree was full of fruit waiting to be used, but nothing speaks to me quite like a rhubarb dessert. Then I went to the grocery story. Strawberries were on sale, and right next to them was a huge stack of rhubarb. Rhubarb is hard to find where I live. Rarely does anyone have it at the farmer's market, and there's only one store I've ever successfully bought it at, and that's always been in June. So to find such an abundance in early August - it was a sign.


 
This recipe provides instructions for either a layer cake or a roll (think Yule log or pumpkin roll). I opted to make the layer cake. The recipe as written produces an extra layer which I didn't want, so I halved the ingredients. The Genoese layer gets cut in half, filled with a strawberry-rhubarb compote and frosted with lemon buttercream. In general, I found the recipe easy to follow, though both the compote and buttercream produced substantially more than was needed for this cake. I had over almost 2 pints of the compote left over which we've been eating with pancakes.


The cake itself moist and tasty. The compote was amazing. The buttercream was very lemony but a little too sweet, I think because the added lemon juice required more powdered sugar than  would normally use. I needed to include more of the compote between the layers. I struggled to add more without it squeezing out. This would have been easier to do if I have piped a line of frosting around the edge to keep it in. Instead, we added an extra spoonful on the top.






Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is Gâteau: The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes by Aleksandra Crapanzano. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the links below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.

The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.




It is a new year and a new book - Gâteau: The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes - and our choices for August 2023 were ~


Apple Cake - The Classic

Lemon Verbena Peach Yogurt Cake


Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

Comments

  1. This cake caught my eye too but my rhubarb didn't flourish this year as it has in the past and I didn't have any for preserving in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Rhubarb speaks to my soul too. I can't wait until rhubarb season to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a sign that the strawberries and rhubarb were next to each other! I would have loved to try this one but rhubarb was nowhere to be found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! Good idea of halve the recipe - we always have too much just for two.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breton Butter Almond Cake #CakeSliceBakers

Raspberry Clafoutis #CakeSliceBakers