Blackberry-Mascarpone Lemon Cake #CakeSliceBakers

I was really looking forward to this month's Cake Slice Bakers' bake from The Perfect Cake.  It was one of the cakes I knew I had to bake as soon as I saw it.  A lemon layer cake filled and frosted with a beautiful blackberry mascarpone frosting.  I could see my family oohing over the look and aahing over the taste.  Unfortunately, I was not able to produce the cake of my vision.  Fortunately, I don't think any of the issues I had were a direct result of the recipe.

The first issue I had was a reading issue.  Despite pre-reading the recipe and then re-reading as I baked, I missed a crucial sentence that caused me to misinterpret the rest of the recipe resulting in a cake that was so dense it didn't even cook completely through.  The second issue was with the frosting.  It was not stiff enough to hold the layers together.  I'm not exactly sure what caused this issue, but I think it might have been that my jelly did not set up enough.  The frosting recipe calls for the baker to whip up a batch of blackberry jam, and even though I let mine cook down for over 25 minutes, it never did quite thicken up as much as I'm accustomed to .


As you can see in this picture, the top layer is sliding.  If I had produced the expect four layers instead of only 2, I think I would not have even been able to get a picture.


In this picture you can see how the frosting is kind of oozing out despite having been refrigerated before, during and after assembly.  You can also see where the cake isn't quite cooked all the way.

Despite all of the issues I had, the flavors of this cake were amazing.  As has been consistently the case, the frosting is to die for.  My family would have gladly eaten a bowl of it without any cake to go alongside.  The cake itself had a wonderful lemon flavor.  I look forward to trying this cake again, hopefully in the next week or two while fresh blackberries are still available in our farmer's markets.



Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through.  This year it is The Perfect Cake from America's Test Kitchen #atkcake.  We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the thumbnail pictures below to take you to each of our cakes, or visit our blog where the links are updated each month. If you are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.


The choices for August were Blueberry Boy Bait, Raspberry Charlotte, Blackberry-Mascarpone Lemon Cake, and Peanut Butter and Jam Cake.



get the InLinkz code


  WORDPRESS ONLY

 

  get the InLinkz code

Comments

  1. I agree - The Perfect Cake frostings are over-the-top outstanding. Cakes are good, too, but those frostings are great. Your frosting looks terrific (and the cake, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frosting looks delicious...sorry that it was a bit soft. I, too, at first didn't realize that the recipe called for making and baking the two layers twice...strange directions. Hope you try it again. Bet it will be perfect next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim I've had frosting do that to me too, but I am so proud of you for your perseverance - the mark of a true baker. If you had baked that cake for me I probably wouldn't have even noticed the layers, I would be too busy enjoying all of those amazing flavors together.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

Raspberry Clafoutis #CakeSliceBakers

Breton Butter Almond Cake #CakeSliceBakers