Chocolate Devil's Food Cake #CakeSliceBakers

This month I spent a snowy morning baking the Chocolate Devil's Food Cake.  If you are in need of a good chocolate cake recipe, this is it. The recipe calls for adding strong coffee and a bit of rum or brandy to enhance the chocolate flavor of the cake.  For those concerned that you might end up tasting the add-ins, I can assure in my family noticed even a hint of coffee or brandy taste.  What we all did notice was the intense chocolate flavor encased in a moist cake.

The frosting recipe had me shaking my head a few times.  It starts with melted butter, something I've never seen before.  At one point, it was grainy and not very appetizing, but I just followed the instructions and added a bit of heavy cream, and the frosting smoothed right out.  Even then, I could not see how the concoction in my mixing bowl would turn into frosting, but when I started applying it to my cake, magic occurred.  It thickened up into an amazing fudgy frosting that perfectly complemented the cake.



I chose to bake a single layer, square cake which produced plenty of leftover batter that I turned into cupcakes.  I got 12 cupcakes in addition to the cake itself.


 





Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is Zoë Bakes Cakes by Zoē François. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the links below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.

The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.





It is a new year and a new book - Zoë Bakes Cakes - and our choices for February 2022 were ~


Black Forest Cake

Chocolate Devils Food Cake

Raspberry Charlotte Royale
  • Note: No group member choose this cake to bake

Comments

  1. I'm going to have to try that frosting just for the experience of magical transformation! Great idea making cupcakes on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in laws buttercream frosting starts with heating the milk and butter and it always turns out perfectly. I don't like frosting but my family loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the chocolate shavings. Tried to make them for mine, but didn't look quite right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks so good. I made this one too and I found that both the cake and the frosting had me questioning the recipes until everything all magically came together. I love your shavings too and I think I need lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

Raspberry Clafoutis #CakeSliceBakers

Breton Butter Almond Cake #CakeSliceBakers