Brooklyn Blackout Cake

My family was feeling the need for a chocolate cake after several fruit-based cakes, so I turned to American Cake as I hadn't baked from it in a while.  In the 1917-1945 chapter, I found exactly what we needed, The Brooklyn Blackout Cake.  This is chocolate cake, layered with chocolate pudding, and covered first in chocolate buttercream and then chocolate cake crumbs.


The cake layers were moist and chocolatey.  I split the two layers in half to make four, used three for the cake and the fourth was crumbled up to cover the frosting with. The filling was pudding-like but made without eggs.  The buttercream was unlike any I've ever made.  The instructions had me melt the chocolate, add the butter and mix until it was melted, then place the warm mixture over ice and beat until thick and spreadable.  At first it looked like it would never thicken up, but then, right around 8 minutes, it thickened up beautifully. 


All of the components were delicious on their own, but combined...one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever had.  I had leftover everything, so I mixed the leftover cake crumbs with the leftover filling and little bit of the leftover frosting to make cake balls.  I put those in the freezer for a little while and then dipped them into the warmed up frosting.  These cake balls were amazing!  I could have eaten just those.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

Breton Butter Almond Cake #CakeSliceBakers

Raspberry Clafoutis #CakeSliceBakers