Scandinavian Cardamon Coffee Cake

This month for the Cake Slice Bakers I baked a Scandinavian Cardamon Coffee Cake. I had never cooked or baked with cardamon and was a little unsure of what exactly or where to find it.  Cardamon is a spice, and it comes in two forms - whole pods and ground. It's similar in taste to ginger. For this recipe you'll want to use ground cardamon.  Now if you live in a small town like I do, you may have a little trouble finding cardamon.  I ended up stopping at a bigger grocery story while we were driving somewhere.  You can also substitute other spice cake type spices like ginger and cinnamon in this cake.  The cake itself is topped with a chocolate ganache. I made my chocolate ganache with bittersweet chocolate.


The recipe was easy to follow and produced a lovely coffee cake.  I thought the flavor of the cardamon would be a little strong for my children, but they all loved it.  I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe, and now that I know where I can find cardamon will definitely be making it again.




Comments

  1. Your cake looks really nice with the chocolate ganache over the top. Glad to know that your children enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicious cake!
    xoxo
    Ana https://acozinhadaanikasblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardamom is one of my favorite spices, and it is so versatile since it can be used in sweet and savory dishes. This was my cake choice too and everyone loved it. I'm going to have to bake it again as now I have seen you beautiful cake with that lovely ganache, I want to try it with the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found the cardamom...it is such a nice warm flavor and your cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took me a while to warm up to cardamom and now I love it! Your ganache looks perfect and I'm happy to hear that your children loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE cardamom which is why I chose this cake too! I am so glad you were able to find it and that your kids enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have both in my pantry, and I love splitting up the pods and grinding them! Your cake looks good, and am glad everyone enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

Breton Butter Almond Cake #CakeSliceBakers

Raspberry Clafoutis #CakeSliceBakers