Linzer Torte

A little late this month for my Cake Slice Bakers' bake, but cake a little late is better than no cake at all!  We continue to bake from "World Class Cakes" by Roger Pizey.  This month I chose to bake a Linzer Torte.

The recipe for the crust seemed a little unusual to me (3 hard boiled egg yolks, for example), so I opted for a simpler one.  I had a little trouble with the dough and believe it could have used substantially longer in the refrigerator before trying to roll out and shape.  The taste, however, was superb.  The main flavor of the torte is, of course, the filling.  I used a high quality raspberry jam.  I think if I had homemade on hand, I would definitely opt for that.

This torte was a huge hit with my family, and I think it could easily be turned into cookie bars that would be perfect for a tea party or potluck.

Linzer Torte
8 T butter, room temperature
2/3 C granulate sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 t vanilla
1 large egg
1 C almond flour
1 C all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
18 oz raspberry jam, room temperature
1 egg + 1 T milk to make egg wash

1.  Cream together butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light in color.  Add lemon zest, vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
2.  Sift together almond flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder. Add to butter mixture and mix just until the dough comes together.  Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour.
3.  Cut one-third of dough and place back into refrigerator.  Roll the other two-thirds on a lightly flour surface into a circle a little larger than your tart pan (I used a 9-in pan).  Press into the pan, smoothing up the sides.  Spread the jam evenly into the tart shell.
4.  Take the remainder of the dough and make a lattice top for your torte.
5.  Place the torte back into the refrigerator for at least an hour (I covered mine and refrigerated overnight).
6.  Preheat the over to 350.  Brush with egg wash and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.
7.  Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tart pan.

get the InLinkz code

Comments

  1. Those cooked egg yolks just seemed really unusual to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a good job with the lattice work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Strawberry-Rhubarb Rouleau with Lemon Buttercream

Raspberry Clafoutis #CakeSliceBakers

Breton Butter Almond Cake #CakeSliceBakers